Exceptional people make an exceptional company. And an exceptional company is a fun place to work. That is why we hire team players who are creative, engaged, and ambitious.
Samuel French, Inc., the world’s premiere theatrical retailer and publisher, is looking for an energetic Bookstore Manager for the Hollywood store – one of the largest performing arts bookstores in the world. We are looking for an individual who will foster a strong team environment, expand the community network, and guide innovation of new service programs.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Building the customer base through top-notch service and expanded products.
- Developing marketing campaigns and managing social media accounts.
- Creating an inviting environment and dynamic displays.
- Leading, managing, and developing a staff of five and recruiting when necessary.
- Managing daily operations, including property management.
A bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from a recognized college or university preferably with coursework in business management AND two years of full-time paid supervisory experience in a general merchandise retail business which included responsibility for ordering, sales, merchandising, inventory control, cash handling, and use of computer equipment. Candidates must possess a strong knowledge of personnel management and be highly skilled in both verbal and written communication. Experience and knowledge of theatre is a plus.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter, resume and salary requirements by email to email@example.com for immediate consideration. Applicants must reference JOB CODE in subject line of email: BKSNY-0420.
Show your interest by reviewing plays online!
We are looking for a Literary Associate to join our diverse team of enthusiastic play lovers! The Literary Associate will assist our Literary Manager in day-to-day administration of our editorial department, including scouting and coverage of new plays, research for our acquisitions team, and managing submissions from playwrights around the world.
Ideal candidates for this position are dependable and meticulously detail-oriented, as well as having a strong work ethic and a familiarity with MS Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite. They are also familiar with basic blogging and social media platforms.
Applicants should have strong interest in dramaturgy, especially modern playwriting, and previous experience with literary management and play development/analysis. As Samuel French serves many theatrical markets, the ideal candidate will be able to put aside personal bias and examine plays under market-appropriate parameters.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Play coverage and creation of internal industry newsletter
- Script reading and analysis
- Administration of day-to-day submissions database, including communication with authors/agent regarding submissions
- Management of general E-mail inquiries for the Editorial department
- Management of editorial content for the website
- Preparation of materials for Acquisitions Committee
Candidates must be able to multi-task, work independently, have excellent written and oral communication skills, and have the ability to prioritize work.
How to Apply
Samuel French encourages our staff to be more than just champions for the plays in our catalog, but critical thinkers about theatre-at-large. With this said, interested candidates should apply as follows:
- Email a current resume, a little about yourself, and the three titles you reviewed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to reference EDNY-0418 in the subject line of your email.
The reviewers we find most interesting will be invited to join us for an interview in our New York office and considered for the Literary Associate position. Good luck and show us your passion for theatre!
Publications / Production Associate
We are hiring a Publications/Production Associate with the ability to work in a fast-paced production department handling multiple tasks simultaneously in a professional and courteous manner.
- Prepress duties
- Digitization of scripts and music
- Maintenance of digital print and audio files
- Light graphic design, layout and typesetting
- Assisting with website developments and new product initiatives
- Help coordinate product inventory and distribution
- Assist with special projects as necessary (and it will be necessary!)
Candidates should be comfortable wearing multiple hats in a start-up like environment where priorities regularly shift to keep pace with organization growth and industry changes.
Candidates must have the ability to pay attention to detail, multitask, and follow through on projects. The position requires exceptional organization skills and written and oral communication. Individuals must be computer proficient, specific proficiencies in Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobatand Excel are required. In addition, applicants must be dependable team players with a strong work ethic.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter, resume and salary requirements by email to email@example.com for immediate consideration. Applicants must reference JOB CODE in subject line of email: PUBNY-0313
If you do come in to meet with us, we want you to make a great impression. So in order to help you prepare, here are some links to websites that list common interview questions.
Samuel French is an equal opportunity employer.
Samuel French, Inc. is offering a unique three-month internship to three qualified and eager individuals who are interested in dramatic literature and the publishing and marketing process which will begin in the Summer of 2013.
Over the course of the internship, each intern will have the opportunity to rotate through three different departments in the company – Editorial, Publications, and Marketing – in hopes of offering these individuals a well-rounded experience of the professional play publishing industry.
Overview of duties included in this tri-departmental internship may include:
- Editorial: Assist the Literary Manager in copyediting scripts and digitizing materials, website and database maintenance, evaluating plays, archiving published plays, copyright research and registration and assisting in the administration of the submission process.
- Publications: Assist the Publications Supervisor in typesetting and layout creation using Adobe CS5 InDesign and Photoshop, assisting with quality control for Samuel French’s new eBook program, assembling and cataloging sheet music, maintaining organized title and metadata lists for reference by future reprint administrators and helping to organize digital and physical libraries.
- Marketing: Assist the Marketing and Social Media Supervisor in designing and creating email blasts through Constant Contact, writing and editing articles for Samuel French’s online Magazine [Breaking Character], growing and maintaining marketing databases, executing targeted mailing projects, website updates and eBook outreach.
- Work on some great new projects that will change the way we contribute to the theatre community!
Additionally, Samuel French will be hosting the 38th Annual Off Off Broadway Short Play Festival, which will be held July 23-28th. Interns will help in the administration of the Festival, and will have the opportunity to interact with playwrights and theatre producers from all over the country.
As a theatrical publishing and licensing house with over five thousand active plays and musicals and over 180 years of operation, the experience and exposure a student can receive while working at Samuel French is priceless in the professional arena. For more information about our company, please view our Mission and Core Values.
- We are looking for someone who is fun and professional; detail-oriented and creative; efficient and communicative; and most importantly, exceptional.
- Applicants should currently be pursuing, or recently in receipt of, a college degree.
- Graduate students are also welcome to apply.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite is very helpful, though not required.
- The internship is 20 hours a week, specific schedule to be determined upon acceptance.
- The overall dates of the internship are June 3rd – August 30.
Send us an email with the subject line “Internship: Summer 2013”with a copy of your resume and a cover letter (preferably as one document) explaining your interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.