This comprehensive guide, from the author of "Acting in Musical Theatre," will equip aspiring directors with all of the skills that they will need in order to guide a production from beginning to end. From the very first conception and collaborations with crew and cast, through rehearsals and technical production all the way to the final performance, Joe Deer covers the full range. Deer s accessible and compellingly practical approach uses proven, repeatable methods for addressing all aspects of a production. The focus at every stage is on working with others, using insights from experienced, successful directors to tackle common problems and devise solutions. Each section uses the same structure, to stimulate creative thinking:
- Timetables: detailed instructions on what to do and when, to provide a flexible organization template
- Prompts and Investigations: addressing conceptual questions about style, characterization and design
- Skills Workshops: Exercises and how-to guides to essential skills
- Essential Forms and Formats: Including staging notation, script annotation and rehearsal checklists
- Case Studies: Well-known productions show how to apply each chapter s ideas
" Directing in Musical Theatre" not only provides all of the essential skills, but explains when and how to put them to use; how to "think like a director."