10 Minute Play, Drama / 1m, 3f
Dancing Turtle invites the audience into the inner life of a girl – damaged at birth – that is both painful and glorious, as she navigates the first longings of adulthood during a Native American stomp dance at a local Appalachian Festival.
Published in Off Off Broadway Festival Plays, 38th Series.
- Winner! Samuel French Off Off Broadway Festival
- Minimum Fee: $55 per performance
$90 with other plays in collection
- Time Period: Contemporary
- Duration: 10 minutes
- Setting: The stage should be empty except for a slatted park bench with a blue Rollator (a combination walker/wheelchair) behind it.
- Features / Contains: Contemporary Costumes / Street Clothes
- Musical Style: N/A (Not a musical)
- Vocal Demands: N/A (Not a musical)
- Chorus Size: N/A (Not a musical)
MARY (also INDIAN DANCER #1) - female, perhaps 20, Molly’s beautiful, idealized, elegant, articulate version of herself
MOTHER (also GIFT SHOP CLERK and INDIAN DANCER #2) - female, 40-45, Molly’s mother
INDIAN BOY (also FATHER) – male, American Indian, 15-20, with long hair.
- Reduced casting (Doubling Possible)
- Roles for Teens
- Multicultural casting
- Strong Role for Leading Woman (Star Vehicle)