by Carolyn Myers, Dori Appel
Full Length Play, Comedy / 2f
"Firmly on the pulse of local Baby Boomers . . .should appeal to men and women of all ages."- Ashland Daily Tidings, Ashland, Oregon
What previously forbidden subject is now a hot topic for baby boomers and beyond? Hot Flashes is a fast-paced, highly original comedy about menopause which has been delighting audiences throughout the United States and abroad. Flexible casting possibilities allow from two to twenty actresses to perform nine scenes about the unique challenges and comical adventures of menopause, in which:
A woman takes action against outmoded medical jargon.
Two friends meet the onset of "creeping invisibility" with a high-spirited solution.
An attack of menopausal symptoms during a holiday dinner inspires some wild physical comedy.
A middle-aged artist takes an original approach to job discrimination.
Carnival barkers introduce a bevy of older femme fatales.
A pair of ovaries celebrate retirement with a hilarious "Last hurrah".
Old friends exchange shared memories while sharing senior moments.
A face-lift consultation leads to an epiphany.
The challenges of menopause are presented in the savvy style of slam poetry.
"Firmly on the pulse of local Baby Boomers…should appeal to men and women of all ages."
- Ashland Daily Tidings, Ashland, Oregon
"While Hot Flashes is a play that speaks specifically to women 'of a certain age', it has been striking responsive chords with members of both sexes and a wide range of ages in our general audience. By turns funny and insightful, wildly hilarious and poignant, broadly comic and poetic, it breaks new ground in presenting issues about menopause and aging which have only recently begun to be discussed, and also provides the theatrical excitement of well-crafted scenes, full of heart and humor."
- Cynthia Salbato, Independent Producer, Ashland, Oregon.
"Hot Flashes took an audience of Senior Drama Professionals by storm in Las Vegas: a fast, funny, and - yes - hot take on growing older… Will appeal to senior theatre companies everywhere, not only for its professional quality, but for the way it speaks truths to older Americans, both female and male alike - with humor, cleverness, and great warmth."
- Alan Woods, Director, Founding Board Member, Senior Theatre League of America.
"Our actors had a great time with Hot Flashes and audiences absolutely loved it! - We were sold out for every performance!"
- Prosper Egan, Producing Director Senior Theatre of Coastal Carolina
- No Special Cautions
- Minimum Fee: $75 per performance
- Time Period: Contemporary
- Duration: 120 minutes (2 hours)
- Setting: Although each scene features a separate location, all may be performed on a single unit set. The present. The stage.
- Additional Features: Local Celebrity Cameo, Physical Comedy
- Features / Contains: Contemporary Costumes / Street Clothes, Fantasy Costumes
- Musical Style: N/A (Not a musical)
- Vocal Demands: N/A (Not a musical)
- Chorus Size: N/A (Not a musical)
WOMAN 2 - another actor in the play.
- All Female
- Ensemble cast
- Non-Traditional casting
- Reduced casting (Doubling Possible)
- Expandable casting
- Flexible casting
- Local Celebrity Cameo
2 or more actors play 20 characters.