Full Length Play, Dark Comedy / 2m, 2f
Written by Yukiko Motoya, one of Japan's leading contemporary female playwrights, Vengeance Can Wait is a kinky comedy about love, submission, and sweet revenge.
"Motoya, a young Japanese writer influenced by anime and manga, has fashioned an edgy little farce." – The Village Voice Theater, Read More
"Vengeance Can Wait is energetic and engaging. And it delivers — as promised — moments of quirky humor, and tongue-in-cheek mockery of “modern” sexual and ethical posturing." - Theatre Ghost, Read More
- Intense Adult Themes
- Minimum Fee: $75 per performance
- Time Period: Contemporary, Present Day
- Duration: 90 minutes
- Setting: A simple room with an old bunk bed. The ceiling and attic are visible, as is a man hiding in the attic, peeking in from wooden panels dislodged for that purpose. Scenes also take place on the street and in a prison.
- Additional Features: No intermission, Physical Comedy
- Features / Contains: Contemporary Costumes / Street Clothes
- Musical Style: N/A (Not a musical)
- Vocal Demands: N/A (Not a musical)
NANASE OGAWA - above all, can't bear being disliked
TAKAO BANJO and AZUSA KANAMORI - a "normal" couple
- Role(s) for Asian Actor(s)
- Ensemble cast
- Non-Traditional casting
- Multicultural casting
As a Japanese play, it was written for Japanese performers. While an Asian-American cast may be preferable, it is by no means required. The play will also work well with color-blind casting. It is something we encourage.