Turnabout (Sharkey, Easton)
by Ken Easton, Jack Sharkey
Short Musical, Dramatic Comedy / 6m, 2f
Based on The Book of Esther, Turnabout is a lyrically hilarious tale incorporating the world's first recorded beauty contest and lots of plotting, counter plotting and treachery. How Esther is selected as Queen, foils the villain and saves her people
from destruction makes for an inspiring and uproarious theatrical event.
- Minimum Fee: $90 per performance
- Time Period: Not Applicable
- Duration: 60 minutes (1 hour)
- Setting: The Royal Palace in Susan, capital city of the Persian Empire - a vast territory encompassing the Mediterranean Countries, Northern Africa, Arabia, and India.
- Additional Features: No intermission
- Features / Contains: Period Costumes
- Musical Style: Classic Broadway
- Vocal Demands: Moderate
- Orchestra Size: Piano Only
- Chorus Size: Medium
ESTHER - obedient niece of
MORDECHAI - a deeply religious Jew
KING - of The Persian Empire
HAMAN - a scheming Persian noble
ZARES - the wife of Haman
MAJOR-DOMO - of the Royal Palace
BAGATHAN & THARES - treasonous eunuchs
MISS ABYSSINIA - and all the following are beauty contestants
Plus GUARDS, COURTIERS, TOWNSPEOPLE, SERVANTS, HANDMAIDENS, NOBLES, EUNUCHS, etc.
- Non-Traditional casting
- Reduced casting (Doubling Possible)
- Expandable casting
- Flexible casting
Plus a large Chorus. The 16 beauty contestants, after their two musical numbers, can, of course, fill in as handmaidens, townswomen, courtiers' wives, and so forth.
Music Material Rental Packages
9 Piano/Conductor Scores