Devil of the Second Stairs
Full Length Play, Drama / 9f
A remote priory is the center for local missionary activity. It is winter and the nuns are preparing for the burial of a deceased sister. As they are singing the Miserere, a warm wind rushes through the chapel and the dead nun sits up in her coffin and laughs! Thus begins for the community of nun…
- Minimum Fee: $75 per performance
- Setting: The Priory of St. Helen of the Cross in a remote area of upstate Minnesota. The present. Mid-winter.
- Musical Style: N/A (Not a musical)
- Vocal Demands: N/A (Not a musical)
- Chorus Size: N/A (Not a musical)
SISTER HELENE - about 20, tall, newly professed, intelligent.
SISTER LOUISE - also about 20, gentle and dedicated, also newly professed.
SISTER ANNE - thin, glasses, about 40, a professional, gifted with a sense of humor.
SISTER JANET - an African-American woman, about 30, speaks in a clipped, crisp Bahamian accent, impressionable.
SISTER MARY - mid-30's, a little overweight, generous, warm, ethusiastic.
SISTER CAROL - about 22, beautiful, a victim of innocent over-simplification.
MOTHER MARGARET - actually her age is indeterminate, glasses, inscrutable, perceptive.
SISTER JUDITH - very old, glasses, small and wizened.
- All Female