Full Length Play, Dark Comedy / 3m, 3f
"In Shopping and Fucking, Mark Ravenhill made theatre relevant to the Thatcher generation. Now he's put videos and Net-surfing in Faust. And it's no less stunning" (Guardian)
"A promising idea awaits dramatic payoff in 'Handbag,' the Mark Ravenhill play that — whatever else its achievements — confirms that the author of 'Shopping and Fucking' is no one-play wonder." - Variety, Read More
"Handbag entertainingly and sometimes jarringly explores the timeless search for love, acceptance and meaning in what’s often an unwelcoming world." - Washington Blade, Read More
- Intense Adult Themes
- Minimum Fee: $90 per performance
- Time Period: 1990s, Victorian (British and American)
- Duration: 120 minutes (2 hours)
- Setting: London, in both the 1990s and the 1860s
- Reduced casting (Doubling Possible)
Five of the roles are double-casted and feature two gay couples.
First performed at the Lyric Hammersmith Studio, London, in 1998 and was commissioned by the Actors Touring Company.