Sir William Crookes, a respected physicist in 1875, is investigating a beautiful young medium. He becomes convinced that her alter ego from the spirit world is real, and she, seeing the great man falling under her spell, confesses that the vision emerging from the cabinet during seances in merely her in her underwear. Crookes refuses to believe she is a fraud until the spirit appears to settle the argument. This twisted love story about how desire subverts understanding is based on a true story.
Published in The Great Gromboolian Plain & Other Plays.
- Mild Adult Themes
- Minimum Fee: $45 per performance
- Time Period: 19th Century
- Duration: 10 minutes
- Additional Features: No intermission
- Features / Contains: Period Costumes
- Musical Style: N/A (Not a musical)
- Not Applicable