Jolson and Company
by Stephen Mo Hanan, Jay Berkow
Full Length Musical, Drama / 2m, 1f
This musical captures on stage the story of America's greatest entertainer during his years as a star in the 1920s and his comeback in the 1940s. While Al Jolson recalls colorful moments from his life during an interview, two actors play all of the other characters, including some show business luminaries and his wives, Ruby Keeler among them.
"An intelligent and winning musical...that brought cheers and applause...Does justice to the man and his music." - The New York Times
"It's impossible not to enjoy...There is both charm and humor and it flows incredibly well dramatically...Highly recommended." - nytheatre.com.
"Working with a clear vision, a diagrammatic book and a tiny cast with a lot of chutzpah. Hannan and company pull it off with terrific efficiency." - Variety
"So much fun... The narrative is given a strong element of continuity...The character of Jolson is a boon as well: capricious egotism and pig headedness offset by disarming magnetism...The audience wants to sing along, and is given its chance in the final concert segment." - Financial Times
- Mild Adult Themes
- Licensing fees and rental materials quoted upon application.
- Time Period: 1940s / WWII
- Duration: 105 Minutes
- Setting: The stage of the Winter Garden Theater on Broadway and various locations from Jolson's past. December, 1949.
- Additional Features: Play w/ Music
- Features / Contains: Contemporary Costumes / Street Clothes, Period Costumes
- Musical Style: Classic Broadway
- Vocal Demands: Easy
- Orchestra Size: Small/Combo
- Chorus Size: Medium
Actor 1 - 50s
Actor 2 - 30s - 50s
Barry Gray, Poppa, Harry Jolson, Dockstader, Lloyd Bacon, Chuck DiAngelo, Col. Webster, Harry Cohn, Morris Stoloff
Actor 3 - 20s
Nancy, Naomi, Mae, Ethel, Josephine, Ruby, Martha, Erle
- Reduced casting (Doubling Possible)
- Expandable casting
- Flexible casting
- Room for Extras
- Strong Role for Leading Man (Star Vehicle)
The play can be performed by various sized casts. The original production was performed with three actors, but can be expanded to as many as 18.
Music Material Rental Packages
4 Piano/Conductor Scores