Full Length Musical, Dramatic Comedy / 3m, 3f
In this chamber musical version of Sarah Ruhl's Melancholy Play, Tilly’s melancholy is of an exquisite quality. She turns her melancholy into a sexy thing, and every stranger she meets falls in love with her...
Note on Digital Perusal: Samuel French's new digital perusal process grants easy, digital access to music perusals while protecting the intellectual property of our composers, book writers, and lyricists. Samuel French perusals are intended to be used for finding the perfect show to fit your theater, casting pool, and resources. Perusals should be used to get acquainted with the music and script. They cannot be used to hold auditions, produce the show without a license, or find sheet music for a separate performance.
- Sarah Ruhl is the 2003 recipient of the Whiting Award for Drama
”...could turn out to be quite a central pillar of the Ruhl canon… an extensive score from (Todd) Almond that, formatively at least, puts you in mind of some Stephen Sondheim chamber musical like "Passion," or maybe something by William Finn… the addition of music feels very organic to the work... you'd have no idea that was not the plan all along. The music adds to the considerable sensuality, and the notable wit, of the piece. This is a classy show [at Piven], with a sparse elegance.” - Chicago Tribune
RELATED ARTICLES ON BREAKING CHARACTER
The Simple Path of MELANCHOLY PLAY
by Todd Almond
May 29, 2015
- Licensing fees and rental materials quoted upon application.
- Time Period: Contemporary, Present Day
- Duration: 120 minutes (2 hours)
- Setting: Illinois. The present moment. Many windows, a chaise, and several doors from which to enter and exit rapidly. A mirror. A potted palm. A chair. A few chandeliers. Or lamps. Perhaps a real balcony, opening into the night air.
- Additional Features: No intermission
- Features / Contains: Contemporary Costumes / Street Clothes
- Musical Style: Classic Broadway, Folk
- Vocal Demands: Difficult
- Orchestra Size: Small/Combo
- Chorus Size: No Chorus
TILLY - a bank teller
FRANCES - a hairdresser
JOAN - a British nurse
LORENZO THE UNFEELING - a psychiatrist
JULIAN - a musician
- Ensemble cast
- Non-Traditional casting
- Flexible casting
- Strong Role for Leading Woman (Star Vehicle)
in addition to Matthew, the pianist, there is ideally a string quartet.
Music Material Rental Packages
6 Piano/Conductor Scores