Musical Revue / Cabaret, Drama / 1m, 5f
"Rarely, if ever, do plays celebrate their subject matter as well...American Cantata easily won my vote as the best celebration of American womanhood in recent reckoning." -The East Villager
A celebration in music and drama of the spirit and imagination of American women; covering three centuries of their triumphs and tragedies.
Reviews"Rarely, if ever, do plays celebrate their subject matter as well...American Cantata easily won my vote as the best celebration of American womanhood in recent reckoning." - The East Villager
- No Special Cautions
- Licensing fees and rental materials quoted upon application.
- Time Period: 18th Century, 19th Century, Present Day, 1930s, 1920s, 1910s / WWI, 1900-1910, American Civil War Era
- Duration: 120 minutes (2 hours)
- Setting: Unit set, simple but versatile. Era changes can be indicated by props and costumes. Long skirts for 18th and 19th centuries, short skirts or pants for contemporary looksl. Male narrator would wear contemporary sport jacket with open shirt.
- Additional Features: Play w/ Music
- Features / Contains: Contemporary Costumes / Street Clothes, Period Costumes
- Musical Style: Classic Broadway, Jazz, Folk, Operetta
- Vocal Demands: Moderate
- Orchestra Size: Piano Only
- Chorus Size: No Chorus
WOMAN ONE - Soprano; plays Ms. Blauvelt, Peggy’s Friend, Rosina Sacco, Survivor, Over and Past, Alice Roosevelt Longworth, Ensemble
WOMAN TWO - High Soprano; plays Molly Maguire, Maria Mitchell, Isadora Duncan, Over and Past, Protester, Ensemble
WOMAN THREE - Mezzo-Soprano; plays Sally Hemmings, Librarian, Witness, Bessie Smith, Josephine Baker, Ensemble, Polly Ann Henry (optional scene)
WOMAN FOUR - 2nd Soprano; plays Peggy S. Arnold, Dame Shirley, Baby Doe, Spectator, Golda Meir, Georgia O’Keeffe, Ensemble
WOMAN FIVE - 2nd Alto; plays Sister, Elizabeth Custer, Girlfriend, Editor, Ella Bloor, Eleanor Roosevelt, Marion Davies, Ensemble
PIANO - on stage
BASS - on stage (optional)
GUITAR - on stage (optional)
- Ensemble cast
- Reduced casting (Doubling Possible)
- Expandable casting
- Flexible casting
- Strong Role for Leading Man (Star Vehicle)
- Strong Role for Leading Woman (Star Vehicle)
NYC production was played by 1 male and 5 females. Other productions had as many women as desired by the company. The characters represent actual people at various stages of their lives, and can be ages from 20s to 50s or 60s, All women should be versatile singers. The narrator doesn't sing. The majority of women are between 20 and 40 at the time of their episodes. Age, however is not particularly important in this play.
Music Material Rental Packages
7 Piano/Vocal Scores