The play is structured around two parallel narratives: one tells the story of Candide's attempts to reunite with his love Cunegonde; the other follows a woman who experiences a hugely traumatic event as she attempts to find a way back to happiness.
"An extraordinary piece, one that bulges with bright ideas." - The Guardian
An "ingenious and enjoyable take on Voltaire." - The Spectator
"There is also genuine wit and ingenuity on display here and a good deal of ribald humour in the spirit of the original." - The Telegraph
- Gun Shots
- Intense Adult Themes
- Strong Language
- Minimum Fee: $90 per performance
- Time Period: Contemporary, Present Day, New Millennium/21st Century, 18th Century
- Duration: 105 Minutes
- Setting: The play takes place in the 18th century, in Europe and then El Dorado. Alternately, in the modern era, at a country hotel and then a film studio. Then, at the intersection between the two.
- Additional Features: No intermission
- Features / Contains: Contemporary Costumes / Street Clothes, Period Costumes
BULGARIAN RECRUITING OFFICER
BULGARIAN RECRUITING SERGEANT
SOLDIERS, INHABITANTS OF EL DORADO, WEALTHY VISITORS TO THE PANGLOSS INSTITUTE, ETC.
- Ensemble cast
- Cross gender casting
- Reduced casting (Doubling Possible)
- Flexible casting
- Room for Extras
Names of all the characters in the play within the play are indicated in italics.
The original production featured a cast of seven women and nine men.