The Purple Lights of Joppa Illinois
by Adam Rapp
Full Length Play, Drama / 2m, 2f
Ellis Shook lives alone in a small duplex apartment in Paducah, Kentucky. He works nights buffing floors, keeps to himself, and always remembers to take his medication. But when two teenage girls arrive at his doorstep one autumn afternoon, their visit will force him to confront a tragic past while also offering him a glimpse at hope.
"The musical, dialogue-free moments, and the stretches of silence that surround them, establish a vivid sense of characters who are both specifically and idiosyncratically present!" the New York Times
"As a slice-of-life drama, Purple Lights succeeds on all fronts!" Theatremania
- Strong Language
- Mild Adult Themes
- Minimum Fee: $100 per performance
- Time Period: Contemporary
- Duration: 90 minutes
- Setting: The living room/sitting area of a small, street-level duplex apartment in Paducah, Kentucky.
- Additional Features: No intermission
- Features / Contains: Contemporary Costumes / Street Clothes
- Role(s) for Black Actor(s)