"Doctor-patient privilege, religion and infidelity are all worked into the mix, so much so that the story seems unbelievably loaded with twists, but that's part of the entertaining quality of it all, as are the elevated verbal rhythms that Mamet orchestrates so well into his dialogue." - BroadwayWorld, Read More
"The Penitent is timely and exciting and, in the best of ways, awfully depressing." - NBC New York, Read More
"You can still hear a little of that old MAMETIAN MAGIC. The language is both casual and formal and the result can be wonderful - like Schubert scoring a boxing match.” - The New York Times
- Strong Language
- Mild Adult Themes
- Minimum Fee: $100 per performance
- Time Period: Contemporary
- Duration: 90 minutes
- Setting: Multiple locations with chairs and a table
- Features / Contains: Contemporary Costumes / Street Clothes
KATE - middle-aged woman, his wife.
RICHARD - a family friend.
- Strong Role for Leading Man (Star Vehicle)
The Penitent premiered at the Atlantic Theater Company in New York City in February 2017 under the direction of Neil Pepe.