by Claire Montgomery, Monte Montgomery
Full Length Musical, Dramatic Comedy / 10m, 10f
Splitsville is a town divided - the Greens simply don't get along with the Blues and vice versa. That is, except for Molly and Butch, two young kids who live on opposite sides of the tracks. The pair try to get their parents to reconcile there respective differences by throwing a big party.
This is a perfect vehicle for elementary school kids to learn about racism and how to confront it. Smart music and simple, fun lyrics. May be produced by young kids, or by young adults for kids.
"Complete with song, dance, humor, drama, and an interesting final twist." - Claremont Courier, California)
"Students...learned the importance of treating people the same, even if they have differences." - Osceola Sentinel-Tribune, Iowa
"A sly musical take on the woes of racism." - Augusta Chronicle, Georgia
"A smash hit...absolutely hilarious" - Lake Arrowhead Mountain News, California
KeywordsAsian issues, Black issues, Current Events, Friendship, Hispanic issues, Jewish/Yiddish issues
- No Special Cautions
- Licensing fees and rental materials quoted upon application.
- Time Period: Contemporary
- Duration: 60 minutes (1 hour)
- Setting: The mythical town of Splitsville. Easily performed in black-box space with simple props. Costumes can be as simple or complex as desired - the only guideline is that the "blues" and "greens" dress primarily in their own color.
- Additional Features: No intermission, Physical Comedy, Multimedia
- Features / Contains: Contemporary Costumes / Street Clothes
- Musical Style: Pop/Rock
- Vocal Demands: Easy
- Orchestra Size: Piano Only
- Chorus Size: Small
THE JUDGE'S WIFE
BLUE NEWS ANCHOR (CHRIS CAMPBELL)
THE MAYOR'S WIFE
GREEN GRANDMOTHER WITH A CANE
GREEN NEWS ANCHOR (PAT MURPHY)
- Non-Traditional casting
- Room for Extras
Plus a Chorus of 5 females and extras
Music Material Rental Packages
21 Piano Vocal Score