Short Musical, Comedy / 6m, 3f
This heartwarming story is a about a teen that comes to the realization that to get anywhere in life, you have to get off the sidelines and go for it!!
This show comes with a teaching guide that will highlight relevant themes from the story and encourage students to closely examine taking risks, friendships and discovering yourself.
The Chicken Soup For the Soul Musical Series is a growing collection of mini-musicals based on real stories with a positive message. The story that is the basis for this show was selected from the Chicken Soup catalogue of over 25,000 stories and written specifically for teens by an award winning creative team.
- Licensing fees and rental materials quoted upon application.
- Time Period: Contemporary
The Chicken Soup for the Soul musical series was created to be flexible to a wide range of theater environments.
All of the shows can be adapted to be performed simply with virtually no set, costumes or special lighting or they can performed as a full productions with all the design elements.
Scene 1- (Pages 1-11) High School Classroom- There is an onstage class of students in their chair/desks facing upstage att the teacher.
Scene 2- (Page 11) Out Side the Front of the School
Scene 3- (Page 13) This section moves through locations.
a) A Clothing Store at the Mall
b) A video game parlor at the Mall
c) A Movie Theater Lobby
Scene 4- (Page 18)- High School Hallway- needs some lockers
Scene 7- (Page 26)- Brian's Bedroom
(Page 27)- Onstage Classroom
- Features / Contains: Contemporary Costumes / Street Clothes
- Musical Style: Classic Broadway
- Vocal Demands: Moderate
- Orchestra Size: Piano Only
- Chorus Size: Small
1. Lona- The most popular girl in school and the nicest.
2. Brian- The love struck Romeo who can’t think straight
3. Stu- Brian’s best friend with a wry sense of humor
4. Sales Girl- Helpful and astute
5. Buddy- A funny video game addict
6. Bernie- Video game addict
7. Jimmy- A helpful movie theater attendant
8. Tracey- A sarcastic, nosey, know it all with an attitude
9. Tyler- The class bully who is always looking for a victim
a) Lona’s Friends- 4 Females, good vocalists (can be expanded)
b) Go For It Ensemble -6-10 Mixed Male/Female, sing and move
- Role(s) for Asian Actor(s)
- Role(s) for Black Actor(s)
- Role(s) for Latino Actor(s)
- Expandable casting
- Roles for Teens
- Flexible casting
- Room for Extras
- Strong Role for Leading Man (Star Vehicle)
The Chicken Soup for the Soul Musical Series was written specifically for teens and as a result there are no adult characters parts. The shows were created to be “casting-flexible” and so any of the parts can be cast multi-racially. In addition, it is our goal to involve as many students in the productions as possible and so you are encouraged to expand the chorus to whatever size works for you.
Music Material Rental Packages
1 Performance Tracks