Short Musical, Comedy / 10f, 1boy(s)
Every teen wants to be with the elusive popular crowd. But, what would happen if you could create your club where everyone was welcome?
THE ISLAND CLUB
In the ever-changing landscape of high school, there is one place where the social hierarchy is on full display, the cafeteria. Every student at one time or another has entered that social void desperately searching for a friendly face to cling to. Claire and her group are the gatekeepers to the popular table. If you are one of the lucky ones to sit there then you are at the top of the social ladder. But if you are like Alexa and her friends, you are banished to desolate far reaches of the cafeteria to fend for yourself. Alexa looks on longingly at the popular table and tries to imagine what the life would be like if she was there. Through some heart-warming experiences, she eventually realizes that maybe the popular table is not the best place to be.
This show comes with a teaching guide that will highlight relevant themes from the story and encourage students to closely examine taking risks, friendships and discovering yourself.
The Chicken Soup For the Soul Musical Series is a growing collection of mini-musicals based on real stories with a positive message. The story that is the basis for this show was selected from the Chicken Soup catalogue of over 25,000 stories and written specifically for teens by an award winning creative team.
KeywordsChildhood, Friendship, Love, Pan Asian Interest, Black/African-American Interest, Asian-American Interest, Adolescence/Childhood
- No Special Cautions
- Licensing fees and rental materials quoted upon application.
- Time Period: Contemporary, Present Day, New Millennium/21st Century
- Duration: 40 minutes
- Setting: The Island Club was written to be flexible to your individual performance parameters.
The show takes place in a typical high school with the majority of time spent in a high school cafeteria.
The show can be simple or as elaborate as you would like but please be authentic to your school.
- Additional Features: Audience Participation/Interactive, No intermission
- Features / Contains: Contemporary Costumes / Street Clothes
- Musical Style: Pop/Rock, Contemporary Broadway
- Vocal Demands: Moderate
- Orchestra Size: Piano Only
- Chorus Size: Small
The “Popular” Table
1. Claire- cut throat style and social leader
2. Skylar-believes she is better than the outsiders
3. Zoe- always trying to outdo everyone
4. Mila- a fashonista with an edge
5. Anna- very sweet and conflicted
The “Unpopular” Table
1. Alexa- optimistic, brings out the best in people
2. Sadie- very shy but strong
3. Sarah-smart and funny
4. Maya- a philospher with dark look on life
5. Byron- nerd with a heart of gold
a) Living for the Likes Ensemble-4 Female/4 Male (can be expanded)
b) The "This is Not How School was Supposed to Be" Ensemble- 4 F/M
- Role(s) for Asian Actor(s)
- Role(s) for Black Actor(s)
- Role(s) for Latino Actor(s)
- Ensemble cast
- Reduced casting (Doubling Possible)
- Features Children
- Roles for Teens
- Flexible casting
- Roles for Children
- Room for Extras
- Strong Role for Leading Woman (Star Vehicle)
The Chicken Soup for the Soul Musical Series was written specifically for teens and as a result there are no adult characters parts. The shows were created to be “casting-flexible” and so any of the parts can be cast multi-racially. In addition, it is our goal to involve as many students in the productions as possible and so you are encouraged to expand the chorus to whatever size works for you.
Music Material Rental Packages
1 Performance Tracks