Full Length Musical, Comedy / 11m, 5f
Julie Harris starred in this off-beat musical about a daydreamer Georgina whose New York brownstone is threatened with demolition by a skyscraper.
From the composer-lyricist team who penned such memorable Frank Sinatra standards as “Call Me Irresponsible,” “Come Fly with Me,” “Love and Marriage,”and many others!
Georgina is the owner of an antique brownstone in New York City that is being squashed on all sides by skyscrapers. The builders are angry with her for not wanting to sell her little property; but she considers it an historic landmark, and undertakes an "urban prevention" crusade against the construction giants. Two men figure in her life and her dreams; the assistant in her boutique, a playwright who had a one-night run off-Broadway and is biding his time for the opening of an avant film festival; and the good-natured architect of one of the skyscrapers, who finds the key to her heart and to all her daydreams. In these daydreams, Georgina imagines the men of her life wooing her as an English officer, an FBI man, a toreador, a southern gentleman, and others
- Nominee! 1966 Tony Award, Best Musical
"Bright, amusing and imaginative with freshness of humor." - New York Post
- Licensing fees and rental materials quoted upon application.
- Time Period: 1960s
- Duration: More than 120 minutes (2 hours)
- Setting: The entire action took place yesterday in New York City, in and around a large skyscraper and a small brownstone.
- Features / Contains: Period Costumes
- Musical Style: Classic Broadway, Jazz
- Vocal Demands: Moderate
- Orchestra Size: Large
- Chorus Size: Large
HARRY THE WAITER
- Flexible casting
- Local Celebrity Cameo
- Room for Extras
- Strong Role for Leading Woman (Star Vehicle)
Music Material Rental Packages
Skyscraper was first presented on Broadway by Feuer and Martin at the Lunt-Fontane Theater in New York City on November 13, 1965. It was directed by Cy Feuer.