It's 3:00 a.m. on New Year's Day in a jail cell in a small Southern town. Frank and Andy are being held on drunk driving - and possibly manslaughter - charges. Andy grabbed the steering wheel while Frank was driving and purposely side swiped a college boy's sports car. Did he die? The atmosphere in the cell becomes increasingly tense. They argue and nearly come to blows before coming to terms with each other and the accident.
Published in Southern Exposures: Five Plays About Life in the South.
- Mild Adult Themes
- Minimum Fee: $45 per performance
- Time Period: Contemporary, Present Day
- Duration: 10 minutes
- Setting: A jail cell in a small Southern town. Three o'clock in the morning. New Year's Day. The present.
- Additional Features: Not Applicable
- Features / Contains: Contemporary Costumes / Street Clothes
- Musical Style: N/A (Not a musical)
- Vocal Demands: N/A (Not a musical)
ANDY - early 20s; the leader.
FRANK - a year younger than Andy; the follower.
- All Male
INSTINCTS was originally produced by T. Dolphin Productions at the Vortex Theatre in New York City on May 2, 1985 under the direction of Angelo Tiffe. The production stage manager was Shauna O'Donnel.