Winner! 1990 Pulitzer Prize for Drama
Winner! 1990 Drama Desk Award, Outstanding New Play
Nominee! 1990 Tony Award, Best Play
Nominee! 2013 Outer Critics Circle Award, Outstanding Revival of a Play
Nominee! 2013 Drama League Award, Outstanding Revival of a Play
August Wilson is the recipient of the 1986 Whiting Award for Drama.
"Like other Wilson plays, it seems to sing even when it is talking." - The New York Times
"A lovely tragi-comedy [...] Haunting as well as haunted." - New York Newsday
"Wonderful [...] A play of magnificent confrontations." - New York Post
- Strong Language
- Mild Adult Themes
- Minimum Fee: $125 per performance
- Time Period: 1930s
- Duration: More than 120 minutes (2 hours)
- Setting: Pittsburgh. 1930's.
- Additional Features: Play w/ Music
- Features / Contains: Period Costumes
- Musical Style: N/A (Not a musical)
- Vocal Demands: N/A (Not a musical)
- Chorus Size: N/A (Not a musical)
- Role(s) for Black Actor(s)
- Ensemble cast
- Roles for Children
The Piano Lesson premiered at the Yale Repertory Theatre in November 1987 under the direction of Lloyd Richards.