Short Play, Drama / 3m, 6f
Based on certain episodes in the lives of Mária Magdaléna Bednarová and Ján Flimel, this is the true story of a woman who risked her life to save the life of one Jewish man.
- No Special Cautions
- Minimum Fee: $45 per performance
- Time Period: 1940s / WWII
- Duration: 30 minutes
- Setting: The play takes place in multiple settings in Bratislava, Czechoslovakia and in Budapest, Hungary. The play is best done with a few simple set pieces that can easily be rearranged to suggest different locales. In the original production only folding chairs and a small table, plus necessary props were employed. Costumes should have an early 1940's feel but don't need to be historically accurate.
- Additional Features: Not Applicable
- Features / Contains: Period Costumes
- Musical Style: N/A (Not a musical)
JOSEF - 27; a rich Jewish industrialist.
NARRATOR/INQUISITORS 1 and 2 - They guide the development of the play and provide historical context.
WOMAN ON THE TRAIN - elderly grandmother.
SECOND WOMAN ON THE TRAIN
SOLDIER - on leave from the front.
- Ensemble cast
- Reduced casting (Doubling Possible)
- Parts for Senior Actors
The original production was done with 6 actors - 3 men and 3 women. There is flexibility in terms of age in the casting.
Magda and Joseph premiered at The Cleveland Play House in a production by the Cleveland Play House/Ohio University Lab Company. The production was under the direction of the playwright, David Eliet.