A samurai's betrothed dies of a broken heart while waiting for her lover to return. In death, she and her maid devise a devious plot to haunt him in an attempt to bring him into the realm of death with her. Despite his servant's warnings that he is bewitched, eventually, the ghost succeeds and overcomes the samurai.
Published in Three Japanese Ghost Stories.
- No Special Cautions
- Minimum Fee: $45 per performance
- Time Period: 19th Century
- Duration: 30 minutes
- Setting: The play takes place in several setting so a simple set is all that is required. The original production made use of a platform and two screens plus a few simple props. Costumes are kimonos worn over basic black costumes plus Japanese shirts for the minor characters.
- Additional Features: No intermission
- Features / Contains: Period Costumes
- Musical Style: N/A (Not a musical)
DOCT YAMAMOTO SHIO
LADY TSUYU - The Ghostly Maiden
YONE - Tsuyu's Servant
HAGIWARA SHINZABURO - A Samurai
TOMOZO - The Samurai's Servant
HAKUODO YUSAI - A Sage
- Ensemble cast
- Non-Traditional casting
- Cross gender casting
- Reduced casting (Doubling Possible)
- Expandable casting
- Flexible casting
- Parts for Senior Actors
The play allows for flexible casting and cross gender casting.