The Vampire Cat of Nebeshima
Short Play, Drama / 8m, 1f, 1boy(s) or girl(s)
A Demon Cat kills the Princess O Toyo and assumes her shape in order to suck the blood of Prince Hizen. Will Prince Hizen be able to stay awake and defend himself?
The Vampire Cat of Nabeshima tells of a Demon Cat who kills the Princess O Toyo and assumes her shape in order to suck the blood of Prince Hizen. As the Prince grows weaker, the Chief Priest warns that the Prince must be being visited at night by a demon and orders guards to keep watch over the Prince at night. While the other guards fall asleep under the spell of the Demon Cat, Ito Soda manages to keep himself awake by stabbing himself in the thigh with a knife and twisting it whenever he feels the urge to sleep. By doing so, he is able to confront and slay the Demon Cat.
Published in Three Japanese Ghost Stories.
- No Special Cautions
- Minimum Fee: $45 per performance
- Time Period: 19th Century
- Duration: 30 minutes
- Setting: The play can be done on a simple stage. It takes place in the palace of Prince Hizen. A single platform, a folding screen and some props were used in the original production. Kimonos were used over a basic black costume.
- Additional Features: No intermission
- Features / Contains: Period Costumes
- Musical Style: N/A (Not a musical)
Casting8m, 1f, 1boy(s) or girl(s)
PRINCESS O TOYO - his wife
CHIEF COUNCILOR ISAHAYA BUZEN
CHIEF PRIEST RUITEN
- Non-Traditional casting
- Cross gender casting
- Reduced casting (Doubling Possible)
- Flexible casting
- Room for Extras