Guardian of the Sidewalk
Short Play, Drama / 1m, 1f
A gripping play for anyone who has ever dared to believe in miracles. This is the story of Peter, a bitter, haunted young man who is trapped in the barren wastelands of purgatory. With him is Ariel, a bright, energetic young angel who is assigned to help Peter redeem his soul.
- Mild Adult Themes
- Minimum Fee: $45 per performance
- Time Period: Present Day, 1990s, 1980s
- Duration: 60 minutes (1 hour)
- Setting: 1998 (with flashbacks to 1985-1991). Purgatory.
- Additional Features: No intermission
- Features / Contains: Contemporary Costumes / Street Clothes
- Musical Style: N/A (Not a musical)
- Vocal Demands: N/A (Not a musical)
- Chorus Size: N/A (Not a musical)
PETER - A bitter young man in his late 20's. Recently deceased, he's now stuck in the barren wasteland of purgatory. He was an up-and-coming film director before he died, yet he's very jaded by the events in his life. Rather sarcastic, a bit selfish, and prone to occasional fits of anger, yet he hides a softer side that reveals itself from time to time.
ARIEL - A bright, energetic young guardian angel who appears to be somewhere in her 20's. Assigned as Peter's guide, she's lively, witty, playful at times, yet she takes her job seriously. She's feisty when provoked and she definitely knows how to handle Peter's snide comments and throw them right back at him. Most importantly though, Ariel has a huge heart. She truly cares about Peter and wants to save him.
- Strong Role for Leading Man (Star Vehicle)
- Strong Role for Leading Woman (Star Vehicle)
Guardian of the Sidewalk was first presented by Studio Theatre Productions at University of North Texas on May 5, 1999.