Where There's No Will
by Leon Kaye
Full Length Play, Comedy / 6m, 2f
It's a 1930s everyone-wants-the-money play. There's a will. It's not signed so the direct descendent gets all the money even though that wasn't the intent of the deceased. But what if they believe she isn't dead after all?
When an old woman dies without signing a will, her greedy daughter and son-in-law expect to inherit everything. But when it turns out that Mom was simply in a coma, they face a dilemma: if they want the money, they're going to have to kill her off before she can bequeath her fortune to someone else!
- No Special Cautions
- Minimum Fee: $75 per performance
- Time Period: 1940s / WWII, 1930s
- Duration: 90 minutes
- Setting: 1930s Albany, NY. Entire play is in the living room.
- Additional Features: Physical Comedy
- Features / Contains: Contemporary Costumes / Street Clothes
- Musical Style: N/A (Not a musical)
- Vocal Demands: N/A (Not a musical)
EMMA WILSON - About 45, a harried homemaker that's grown very tied of Hal's act. She is a doer and will undertake unpleasant tasks.
MR. JACOBS - About 50, a proper, upstanding, educated man -- all that Hal is not. Also rather spineless.
NICK - Hal's friend, 40s, a transplanted New Yorker, and a two-bit criminal...with a few mob ties.
AUNT LIZ - 75 years old, and is a tough as nail, but respectable
PLUMBER - A Swedish immigrant, and a decent person.
DOC MORRIS - Very old doctor that's forgot much of what he learned in medical school, but he doesn't seem to notice. Known as a buffoon to everyone, he's still treated respectfully, and his advice is met with a courteous nod and unbelieving smile
DOM - About 45, real wiseguy with a thick New York mob accent
- Ensemble cast
- Reduced casting (Doubling Possible)
- Strong Role for Leading Man (Star Vehicle)
- Strong Role for Leading Woman (Star Vehicle)
- Parts for Senior Actors
The character of DOC MORRIS can double as DOM.