Gutenberg! The Musical!
by Anthony King, Scott Brown
Full Length Musical, Comedy / 2m
In this two-man musical spoof, a pair of aspiring playwrights perform a backers' audition for their new project - a big, splashy musical about printing press inventor Johann Gutenberg. With an unending supply of enthusiasm, Bud and Doug sing all the songs and play all the parts in their crass histor…
Note on Digital Perusal: Samuel French's new digital perusal process grants easy, digital access to music perusals while protecting the intellectual property of our composers, book writers, and lyricists. Samuel French perusals are intended to be used for finding the perfect show to fit your theater, casting pool, and resources. Perusals should be used to get acquainted with the music and script. They cannot be used to hold auditions, produce the show without a license, or find sheet music for a separate performance.
- Nominated! 2007 Lucille Lortel Award for Outstanding Musical and the 2007 Outer Critics Circle Award for Outstanding New Off-Broadway Musical; and its authors were nominated fro the 2007 Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Book of a Musical.
Reviews"“A smashing success!” –The New York Times
“Brilliantly realized and side-splitting!"—New York Magazine
“There are lots of genuine laughs in GUTENBERG!”— New York Post
- No Special Cautions
- Licensing fees and rental materials quoted upon application.
- Time Period: Contemporary, Present Day, New Millennium/21st Century
- Duration: 90 minutes
- Setting: This is ostensibly a reading of a musical. It should absolutely not be performed on anything resembling an appropriate set for the show-within-the-show. Every set piece and prop should be simple, functional and expository. In other words, we should be abl
- Additional Features: Audience Participation/Interactive, Local Celebrity Cameo
- Features / Contains: Contemporary Costumes / Street Clothes
- Musical Style: Classic Broadway, Pop/Rock
- Vocal Demands: Easy
- Orchestra Size: Piano Only
- Chorus Size: No Chorus
BUD DAVENPORT is an innocent. He's eager to please, and thrives on approval. When Bud sings one of his songs, he's reveling in his own "brilliance." But he's too naive to be a true egomaniac; if anything, he's overly grateful for the mere opportunity to create and perform. Bud enjoys getting caught up in Doug's passion and admires his friend's Big Ideas.
CHARLES is the pianist.
Tonight is the most important night of their lives.
All of the roles were originally written for men, but there's no reason any of the roles couldn't, with only slight changes, be played by anyone.
Music Material Rental Packages
3 Piano/Vocal Scores