Originally commissioned and produced by New York’s prestigious Primary Stages Company as a response to the events of 9/11, Rituals is the heart-wrenching tale of Dave and Janie, an upwardly-mobile couple whose lives have been shattered by the death of their young son. Dave brings Pat, his therapist, to their high-rise condo – hoping that Pat can help put a stop to Janie’s compulsive rituals, which Dave fears are causing her to retreat from reality. What begins as an intervention quickly escalates into a heated confrontation…and Dave realizes that rituals may actually represent a valid way to survive in the aftermath of a terrible tragedy.
Published in 5 Easy Pieces: More One-Act Plays.
- Mild Adult Themes
- Minimum Fee: $45 per performance
- Time Period: Contemporary, Present Day
- Duration: 10 minutes
- Setting: An upscale condo in New York City; the present.
- Additional Features: Not Applicable
- Features / Contains: Contemporary Costumes / Street Clothes
- Musical Style: N/A (Not a musical)
- Vocal Demands: N/A (Not a musical)
PAT - 40s.
JANIE - Late 30s.
- Ensemble cast
- Non-Traditional casting
- Strong Role for Leading Man (Star Vehicle)
- Strong Role for Leading Woman (Star Vehicle)