GIRLS TO THE RESCUE, adapted from Bruce Lansky's book, is a unique collection of 5 separate stories. Each story is both lively and thought provoking, all with the same theme. Girls can, indeed, save the day - and do. They can face down dragons and trolls, win a joust, and outsmart a greedy merchant.
The play speaks to anyone who has ever had a problem to solve, and looks around for some help - or even some fairy dust. But as the Fairy Godmother's Assistant says: "The best kind of magic is inside. So when you've got a problem to solve, just believe in yourself and I know you'll be able to handle whatever comes up."
Stories can be mixed and matched. All five stories can be done with an intermission, or several stories can be performed as a long one act.
"Girls to the Rescue is a powerful antidote to all those helpless princess stories." - Mary Pipher, Ph.D.
- No Special Cautions
- Minimum Fee: $75 per performance
$45 per short play individually
- Time Period: Not Applicable
- Duration: 90 minutes
- Setting: Since we're telling five diferent stories, a single colorful backdrop can serve for all of the stories, using set pieces, props, and costumes to indicate location.
- Additional Features: Not Applicable
- Features / Contains: Period Costumes
- Musical Style: N/A (Not a musical)
- Vocal Demands: N/A (Not a musical)
- Ensemble cast
- Non-Traditional casting
- Expandable casting
- Flexible casting
- Room for Extras
This an ensemble piece. You can cast each story with different actors, or use doubles and a smaller cast.
The premiere production of Girls to the Rescue took place at the Des Moins Community Playhouse.