Mother of Him
by Evan Placey
Full Length Play, Drama / 3m, 3f, 1boy(s)
Winner of the 2011 Canadian Playwrights Contest!
It could be a morning like any other as Brenda cooks breakfast for her two sons… But eight year-old Jason’s refusing to go to school and teenager Matthew is under house arrest upstairs. And Brenda’s face is splashed across the cover of every newspaper.
"If you were looking at us, you might have even thought we were friends. Old friends. If my son hadn’t raped her daughter."
It could be a morning like any other as Brenda cooks breakfast for her two sons… But eight year-old Jason’s refusing to go to school and teenager Matthew is under house arrest upstairs. And Brenda’s face is splashed across the cover of every newspaper. For Matthew has committed a horrible crime, and as Brenda fights for him to be sentenced as a child, she learns it’s the laws inside the house that matter most: boys can become men, and a mother can at once become victim and monster. How far does a mother’s love go, and at what cost to herself?
- Winner! 2011 Samuel French Canadian Play Contest
Winner! King’s Cross Award for New Writing (UK)
Winner! Tarragon Theatre’s RBC Under 30 National Playwriting Competition (Canada)
“Claustrophobic, intense, and intriguing, Evan Placey’s tight domestic drama focuses on the mother of the accused, rather than the perpetrator” – The Stage
“Edgy, pertinent drama” – Islington Gazette
“Not a false note in the entire play” - Whatsonstage
- Mild Adult Themes
- Minimum Fee: $90 per performance
- Time Period: Contemporary, Present Day
- Duration: 105 Minutes
- Setting: December. Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It’s cold. Snowy. The play takes place solely in the Kapowitz house, but we hear voices and the flashes of cameras from outside.
- Additional Features: Not Applicable
- Features / Contains: Contemporary Costumes / Street Clothes
- Musical Style: N/A (Not a musical)
- Vocal Demands: N/A (Not a musical)
- Chorus Size: No Chorus
Casting3m, 3f, 1boy(s)
JASON KAPOWITZ – 8, Brenda’s son
MATTHEW KAPOWITZ – 17, Brenda’s son
ROBERT ROSENBERG – 45, Matthew’s lawyer and Brenda’s friend
JESSICA– 16, Matthew’s girlfriend
STEVEN – 42, Brenda’s ex-husband
TESS – 38, Brenda’s cleaning lady, Filipino
- Strong Role for Leading Woman (Star Vehicle)